We are located Place Coronmeuse @ Liege (Belgium), the place where all began,
Coronmeuse the suburb at the origin of the beer in Liege
Coronmeuse has been known since the Middle Ages for its breweries. It is a small suburb situated in the immediate vicinity of the City of Liège belonging to the lordship of Herstal since at least the 8th century.
October 20, 1740 Coronmeuse was attached to the Principality of Liège. The hamlet then fell by successive legacies into the hands of King Frederick II of Prussia. Despite old treaties dating back to 1546 and 1654, he imposed on the Lord-Bishop of Liege, under the threat of his troops, the purchase of the area for the astronomical sum of 200,000 crowns.
Just beside the City of Liege, but not dependent on it legally, Coronmeuse thus escapes the Liege taxes on consumption and the production of drinks and thus profits from its privileged situation throughout the Middle Ages and the Modern times. In the 14th century the small town saw the development of the "brassines", as were called the breweries at that period. Many people from Liege, for several generations, used to spend their leisure time at Coronmeuse as they already could taste there the best beers of the country.
Coronmeuse: a place where water is highlighted.
Coronmeuse is an exceptional site where water has been highlighted for decades and it is not accidentally that we decided to install the Belgian Brewery there.
One of the major events taking place in Coronmeuse during the spring and summer of 1939 is an international exhibition with the theme "The International Water Technology Exhibition", a major event that lasted until Belgium entered into the war.
It is also during this international exhibition that the Albert Canal was inaugurated. This is where the entrance of the canal is located, recognizable by the huge statue of King Albert I.
A real "Aquapôle" where we also find the independent port of Liège (3rd European river port), Monsin Island, the dam bridge but also the largest brewery in Belgium, Jupiler, installed since its beginning on the other edge of the Meuse river, just in front of the Belgian Brewery.